Friday, March 7, 2008

Oh My, it's Hula Pie!

I wasn't going to post today because I have to teach a class tomorrow, but I've been getting so many questions about Hula Pie that I thought it would be cruel to leave you wondering another day! This, my friends, is Hula Pie:

Hula Pie has a chocolate cookie/macadamia nut crust, topped by macadamia nut ice cream, drizzled with fudge and topped with whipped cream and more macadamia nuts. This picture does not do justice to the size of this pie--it's almost as big as your head. I grabbed this photo off the internet and subsequently lost the link so I can't give credit to the photographer! (Sorry!)
Hula Pie is only served at Duke's:


This is the inside of Duke's Canoe Club, one of my favorite restaurants on Kauai. Duke's is on the beach at Nawiliwili harbor. The setting is unbelievably beautiful, especially at sunset. I know I took you to J.J.'s Broiler for lunch the day we had lunch together; I just didn't mention the short walk over to Duke's. And I didn't remember to take a picture either. (Okay, okay...time for me to confess. Our day together was all a fantasy. It wasn't a documentary, it was fictional. Hmmmph. I was tripped up by my Hula Pie lie.)

18 comments:

Tine said...

Ok! This is just not fair! I'm reading this at 8 in the morning, and now I know I'll be thinking about hula pie all day :-D
If I could get anything here that would resemble it even vaguely, I'd be packing up the kids and running to the store! That just looks -and sounds- too delicious!

Busy Little Quilter said...

Hula Pie looks so good! I wonder how long I would have to wiggle my hips with my Hula Hoop to work off Hula Pie? It wouldn't work anyway. I'm not that great at Hula Hooping. :)

Rhonda said...

Oh my, that pie looks deliciously sinful. 8-)

Vicky said...

It's 6:24 a.m. and I want a piece for breakfast! It looks wonderful, as does that restaurant!

Salem Stitcher said...

All my favorite things in one pie! If we had really had Hula Pie at lunch, I would have had to take a nap at the park.

Mom IsAmagpie said...

Hula Pie Lie. Haha, it could be from an episode of Law and Order ba-ba "the suspect was tripped up by the hula pie lie. She's guilty."
Of making reader worldwide giggle. Hope you enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh I'll take a BIG piece please! No "slivers" for this 'ole gal of that sinfully delicious looking pie! I'm a "new" commenter Lisa. Love your Blog and I'll be looking forward to future editions. God Bless :) Jan

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a pie and what a restaurant! Good reasons to come to Kauai!

Suzy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzy said...

Well, the day together may have been a fantasy, but that Hula Pie isn't! It's sitting there mocking me! OMIGOSH! It looks divine! *salivating* :oP

Anonymous said...

Had it at Duke's last night but they also serve it at Keoki's in Poipu.

Cathie said...

Macadamia nut ICE CREAM... oh be still my wildly beating heart!! I would ADORE Hula Pie! And yanno... I forgive you for the lie. It wasn't reaalllly a lie... just a smallish detail; insignificant really. After all, we needed that walk to let our luch settle so that we could enjoy that magnificent Pie of Pies... mmmmmmm! *licks lips*

You totally KNOW I am going to HAVE to go buy some ice cream and some macadamia nuts now... sheesh.

Oh, and about Gilligan's Island, I wanted to be Ginger but I knew I was MaryAnn and YES the Professor, lololol...

Cath

cinnamongirl93 said...

Hey, no fair to post such a yummy looking photo. What are you trying to de to me? That pie is right up my alley! Save me some for next time!

Libby said...

Mmmmm -Hula pie. I had almost forgotten that there is a Duke's here on the mainland . . . not far from me *s* I may have to go grab a slice *deeelish*

Acornbud said...

I've gained 2 lbs drooling over your hula pie!

Sally said...

Well, I can only say, there is nothing wrong with Hula Pie for breakfast...how many of us have pumpking pie for breakfast right after Thanksgiving? I'll admit it! Thanks for sharing...my tastebuds will never be the same.

Anonymous said...

Dukes looks really cozy. This is fun to look at being as I have snow, snow, snow and 20+ degrees outside. Come on spring!!!

BetsyE said...

I just had my first Hula Pie - but at the Huntington Beach, CA Duke's. Yummmm! I could just live on Hula Pie...OK, maybe not, but I would like to give it a try!