Sunday, March 16, 2008

Mini-Group UFO Day

There you are! Hey--you want to go to my mini-group UFO day with me? Great! Stow your stuff in my trunk here and let's get going! We need to stop by Starbuck's on the way, because I need some coffee! I can barely keep my eyes open in this picture....ugh...mornings...

No, Mr. Bigglesworth...you can't go today. And you're not fooling me by trying to disguise yourself as cargo. Give me a kitty hug and I'll see you later.

Here we are in the back room of Kapaia Stitchery (we got here fast!!! Must've been that triple latte I drank on the way...whoo hoo!). We usually meet at each other's houses, but today it was convenient to meet here.

Aren't these green and black Feathered Stars amazing? Guess who made them?

Herman! You've met Herman...he's my hair stylist! He's also an amazing quilter. He's making enough Feathered Stars for a king-sized quilt. That's a LOT of teeny-tiny half-square triangles. I think he said he already had twenty made--can you believe it? Look at his work...perfect. And I love his colors! I'm not really sure about this pose of his. I think I caught him in the middle of doing a Vanna White. He looks like his blocks are attacking him. Luckily, he survived.

This is Paige, who is working on her Mariner's Compass. Today, she's sewing the flying geese around the compass:
Wow...beautiful, huh? My friends are talented! This is Jo, who is working on a Japanese Jigsaw quilt. This quilt is a pattern by Tracey Brookshier, who just visited our island and taught the class.
Jo is a wizard with color. Isn't her quilt top beautiful? Her piecing is beautiful, too. So precise.

Anne is having a little trouble puzzling out her Japanese Jigsaw quilt. I guess the blocks didn't want to be transported. I hope Anne's blocks won't attack her like Herman's did. Believe it or not, she got her quilt top all sewn together today. Anne gets 'em done.

We'll work on our UFO's today, but we'll also take the time to make a few of these:
Box bags! My latest "I can't stop making these" item. I thought it would be fun to infect my friends with box fever. Looks like it worked.
Jo got some of her borders on today. This quilt is stunning! I hope we can take a picture of the finished quilt at the next meeting...but no pressure, Jo.

I hope you enjoyed meeting some of my mini-group friends. Sadly, Roberta was sick, so you didn't get to see her, but maybe you'll get to meet her next time. Feel better soon, Roberta!

Update 3/17 : Clicking on any light gray words above (links) will take you to any quilt pattern info or tutorial links. I've linked to pattern info on the Japanese Jigsaw quilt and a wonderful tutorial for the box bag by Dragon[knit]fly. I've made a few mods to the box bag pattern, but her tutorial is what I started with. Enjoy!

23 comments:

Andrea said...

What a fun day ! I love all your stuff. Do you have a pattern for the box bags ? Do you know where I can get it ? They are brilliant.

Tine said...

Fun! And some really talented friends you have!! Love Hermans feathered stars, More men should quilt....the colors he chose are so different from what I have seen before. Maybe he'll agree to let us see a little more of it?
But my favourite is the japanese puzzle quilt! Is there a pattern for that somewhere? And remember, I will not actually sew anything for the next 2-3 years ;-)

Tine said...

Somehow I missed those links.... Ooops....must be my eyes! Maybe I need glasses?!

The Calico Cat said...

Neat - my mini group always meets in the classroom of one of the local quilt shops.

You photos reminded me - My Japanese Jigsaw is languishing....

cinnamongirl93 said...

Very nice quilts your group is working on. The box bags look fun too!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are all so talented! Trying to solve the secrets of the Japanese Puzzle! I´ve already bought zips for my box bags I´m going to sew one day...

Janet said...

There's some beautiful quilts there! The Japanese puzzle quilt looks interesting - might have to try that one, someday.

Busy Little Quilter said...

Your group looks like they are not only fun, but super talented!

dot said...

Thanks for the great show. All the quilts are beautiful. I just might have to try one of those bags.

Mom IsAmagpie said...

What an inspiring group. I don't think I can pick a favorite thing, everything is just gorgeous. Good for you passing on an addiction, I mean love for a pattern.
On another note all together I love those earrings.

Joan J said...

Love all the quilts but especially the Mariner's Compass -- a big "want to do" of mine. And love the box bags -- how cute would those be done in Christmas fabrics to "wrap" presents!! Or birthday fabrics for birthday presents. I've got to try those - thanks for the link!

Rhonda said...

WOW! What fun and talented group you all are! Those feather stars by Herman are wonderful and love the Mariner compass. I've been wanting to try that block.
Thanks for links... those box bags will make great gifts!

Sally said...

Wonderful day today! Thanks for taking us along. I really like those box bags...they'd be great to hold socks in progress! Will need to get one done before the next round of Sock Madness 2! Love those quilts...the Japanese Puzzle is lovely!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I thought Herman looked familiar... and so he does! (Your hair is looking great, too!) The box bags are oh-so-wonderful! The Japanese Jigsaw pattern very clever, and the circular flying geese around the Mariner's Compass are completely and totally amazing... there's one of those gals in every group! Ha!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I don't know how part of the comment didn't "go"... but it didn't... Herman is quite talented and gifted in many areas it appears. Wow! Glad he survived the f.s.attack...

Anonymous said...

Eye candy, eye candy, eye candy!!! Sounds like a fun day, and your group is just oozing with talent! I'm in such awe of all the quilts you showed. And your box bags... all so cute! So glad I have one of my own... my very own Lisa Boxbag (which BTW, I took with me to Seattle this weekend. I didn't get any stitching done, but I did love traveling with your bag!).

I'm seriously jonesing the blue Japanese fabric. MUST know where I can buy some of that!!! Please, please... pretty please with a lychee on top... can you tell me where you got it?

Salem Stitcher said...

What a great group! You all must have a blast all the time. How could you not?

Cathie said...

*happy sigh* Thank you for sharing Group UFO Friday!! I also am fascinated by the Japanese Jigsaw Quilt--what a pattern!

Everything was wonderful looking! But, um... did I miss something? What were you working on? or was it those adorable bags?

Cath--still consumed by leather fumes and missing my sewing machine a LOT

Mary Anne said...

WOW !!!! You've got some talented friends!!! ..... and I'm lovin' Herman ..... does he make long distance housecalls for hair emergencies? .... tell him I'll pay in fabric .....

Brooke said...

First of all, aren't you a cute thing with your rockin' haircut and fab earrings! It's all in the earrings sister!
Your cat does look like my kitty...except mine may be a little more chunky!
I wish I had a Herman. He looks like the life of the party and can work magic with the hair too!

Opal said...

Oh I love me some box bags!

Nettie said...

lots o' cool quilting going on there. Love the feathered stars especially.

Lisa said...

You have some very talented friends!!! Their work is all gorgeous!