Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Good Hair Day

Thank you all so much for voting, and for the comments! Hairstyle Number One, the Dimensional Brunette, won the vote. I really like the Dimensional Brunette, but I'm nervous! Those spikey things on top are short! Here I am arriving at Herman's place, a.k.a. H.S. Ferreira Salon.Herman is a low key guy, sign-wise, isn't he? He has no sign at all except for that one on the door. Yes, the tiny print under the "OPEN" sign is his only sign. Herman is very popular, and as you can see, his fame is word-of-mouth only. Herman doesn't need to advertise. Herman is "da bomb," which means he's the best. He's very good at what he does, and he happens to be a sweetheart, plus one of the funniest guys I've ever met. And he quilts! Sigh...I adore Herman.
Here's Herman in our typical Hawaiian mid-winter clothing. He's wondering why I'm taking his picture.
Herman at work. He was surprised that I wanted to go short! I showed him the magazine pictures and told him that you chose Dimensional Brunette Number One for me...but I was still a little nervous. So Herman made the wise Solomon-like decision to do something halfway in between both pictures. He told me that if I still wanted the really short spikeys, we could do it next time when I was feeling more confident, but my hair is way wavier than hers, so it would require a lot more maintenance to get that look with the spikes. Ugh...maintenance...a bad thing. I opted for easy. (See why I love him? He knows I'm lazy, but he loves me anyway.)


I TOTALLY LOOOVE IT!!! I feel so young and perky! (Here I am at Macy's afterwards, trying to sneakily take my picture in the ladies' clothing section.) Wow...I can't believe how much cooler my neck is! Remember when you got your braces off and your teeth felt so smooth and funny that you couldn't stop smiling because your teeth felt so slippery and it felt so wonderful? No? Well, I remember. And that's how my neck felt today! Every breeze that ruffled past my neck made me happy. Now all I need is a hot flash to really give it a test drive!
I thought Macy's might not like me sneaking around taking pictures of myself, so I tried on these two blouses so I could take a picture in the dressing room! Now you can see all angles. I didn't buy this blouse because I think it was actually a maternity blouse--but I did manage later to buy a few new pairs of earrings, now that you can see part of my ears. I was inspired by the Dimensional Brunette (my new alter ego) to try some longer, flashier earrings. Do I look like the Dimensional Brunette at all? Okay...I heard that...who said "more like the Demented Redhead?"

After shopping, I had some more papers to drop by THE ACCOUNTANT'S. You remember her from my tax trauma a couple of days ago, huh? Well, here she is, looking over my fabric and yarn expenses. She's still smiling! Which means only ONE thing!!!

I didn't buy enough yarn last year!! So this is how I topped my day off:
I had to go back to get me some more of that yummy Cascade 220. I showed amazing self-control the other day, buying only the orange and yellow, but that was before my accountant didn't gasp out loud at my yarn totals. So I figure I can make up for it this year! Whoo hoo! 2008 is lookin' good! I'll see if I can make her gasp next year. A girl's gotta have goals, you know.

Back to quilting tomorrow, I promise.

39 comments:

Tine said...

Congratulations on your new hair! It looks great! Good choice, and good advoce from your hairdresser!
BTW I had to go back to where you mentioned your age in the previous post...NO WAY!

Anonymous said...

WOW! It looks great, I just wish I could have been a fly on the wall when you were taking all these photos. Do they think you are "Weird"????? We don't of course...... We do the same. (I would if my kids didn't object so much)

ladydi said...

Great new haircut!

Denise (Nour) said...

Really cute! Your hairdresser was right!

Janet said...

Could you please clone Herman? He did a great job - your hair looks great!

CONNIE W said...

Lookin' good, Girl - I'll call you Foxy Locksy now. :)

sew{very}creative said...

WOW!! Congrats!!! I really didn't think there was a more flattering cut than the one you had, but damn! Girl!! You look Fab-O!! 'Course you looked Fab to begin with .... ! ;)

Now, how're you going to celebrate that new look? You HAVE to go out and show it off!! Any quilt shows in your area?! ;)

W00t!! W00t!!

Quilty hugs!!
Connie :)

Sally said...

I LOVE that haircut! You sure do look perky...love it. Bravo to Herman! He is da bomb!And what, pray tell, will you be doing with only one skein of each color of that 220? Any plans?

PS. Re: your email...I promise!

Stacy A. said...

Lisa, I see by your comment counts that I am not the only one that waits in anticipation for each new post and adventure. You are the quilty Queen. Your new hair looks great! You will love how easy it is to manage, especially with your natural waves. You'll never want to go back! That video of you machine quilting is amazing, I watch it over and over. Love Stacy

Mar said...

you look faaab-u-lous dahling!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely, 100% gorgeous! Herman done good :) Jan (FL)

Mary Anne said...

I LOVE the hair !!!! VERY CUTE !!!!

Busy Little Quilter said...

I love it! It looks great on you.

I wonder what Mary Ann (aka Dawn Wells) would say. I think she would bake you a coconut pie to celebrate!

Brooke said...

Cute...CUTE! I did not get to vote yesterday, but I love your new look. It pays to have a wise hairdresser, huh?

Anonymous said...

Wow, you look totally younger with that hair. My second asked me a while ago, how old was I. I asked him how old did he think I was. He said 20. I said he was right.

hint...I'm not 20. I'm let's just say very many years away from 20. Bless his heart.

So, in closing, let me say that new hair makes you look 20!

PS. Thanks for the vote on my socks!

Cathie said...

LOL! Lisa, I like your goals! Make your accountant gasp, lol!

I do also wonder what you're going to do with only one of each color... well, I guess you could do stripes or patches.

Okay, now my mind is trying desperately to make sock yarn fit into scrap quilting, lol....

Happy good hair days! SOunds like Herman is worth his weight in sock yarn---or fat quarters. *wink*

Cath

Dawn said...

You look smashing, my dear! Simply gorgeous!

But you're so cute anyway....you could go 'crew-cut' and still turn heads.

BusybeeDebQuilts said...

Very cute! I can feel the cool on my neck just looking at you. Herman is da bomb!

Of course it would help here it were warm enough to quit wearing turtlenecks! :-)

Deb

Anonymous said...

Love the new do Lisa! And Herman too... and he's a quilter on top of it! I'd love to go to his shop and request a scant quarter inch off the bottom.

Another wonderful read and field trip!

Anna said...

Your hair cut is awesome. Great thing you have Herman who understands the anxiety of a change of hairstyle. I am still searching for someone who can cut my hair the way I like it without breaking the bank! Keep sharing your stories. I love reading them.

Rhonda said...

WOW!! You look soooo adorable!! Herman is "da bomb"!!

Anonymous said...

Your hair looks very good! Waiting for your next news.

Under the Lychee Tree said...

What a great haircut! I'm relieved you didn't get an Annie Lennox!

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE A BRILLIANT AUTHOR AND LOVED BY MANY INCLUDING MYSELF. HOWEVER THE CHOICE YOU MADE OF GOING ONLY "HALF WAY "IN ALL HONESTY LOOKS "HALFWAY".I HOPE YOU WILL MAKE THE LEAP ONE DAY AND NOT FEAR GOING ALL THE WAY TO THE NEW BEAUTIFUL YOU, IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE.remember our hair is an outward symbol of what's going on inside of us, our mind..good wishes to you.

Angie said...

Your new do looks wonderful on you. I know you are going to enjoy it and feel more comfy. Herman did good! Where's the new earrings? Thumbs down on the Macy's blouse, but thumbs up-up on the new sock yarn! Such beautiful colors!

tina said...

New Do is adorable! It does make me feel guilty about not having posted the pics of mine yet-----a week old already. I think it is because even though I am in the photo biz I really hate having my pic taken. And then there is my neck of course. Ack.

Opal said...

You look fabulous, dahling. ;-) Really, that hair cut is great!

So what are you going to do with the Cascade? A felted bag? Hats? Mittens? I'm all agog!

The Calico Quilter said...

You look maaaavalous! Now you need to update your profile picture - feel free to lie about your age - you can pull it off with that 'do.

Oh, and welcome to land of the short-haired. You will find yourself lusting after many more earrings now. When you have long hair you think "What's the point?" but now, you can work those lobes!

Laurie said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Laurie

Salem Stitcher said...

Love the haircut! Makes me want to cut mine too.

cinnamongirl93 said...

Looking good girl! Have fun staying cool in paradise! Love the yarm yummys. What will you knit with those pretty skeins?

Made By Claire said...

I love it, it looks great. Happy new haircut.

Jeanne said...

Love your new haircut! It looks terrific on you.

Kristin said...

love love love love love love the hair do!! you are totally dimensional brun-red-ette. you need a cape, though, cuz that sounds like a super hero name. a lightweight cape that creates a breeze. The hairdo actually looks better on you than it did on the model. Herman, I am virtual bowing at your flip-flop clad feet. slso, the earrings are so fun and flirty! The whole look is fab - you lost 10 years and 10 pounds, too. So now you look 29 and fierce.

Anonymous said...

Love the new do! So sassy and it looks great on you.

Love the skirt book, it reminds me of the Apron Book. Think I will check into some new skirts! :-)

qusic said...

I really like your new haircut, welcome at the Dimensional Brunettes, your hairdresser's a quilter-! how cute is that!

Anonymous said...

Lisa , I guess I only have one comment to make since you deleted my opinion from this blog about your hair . Why ask a question if you were not interested in a truthful opinon,I wasn't in any way disrespectful or rude to you , I merely spoke truth to you.And I was the only one who differed in opnion.It reminds me of the story of the Emperors New Clothes.OH well...............

Lisa Boyer said...

Dear Anonymous,

I don't know why you said I deleted your opinion--that's you right there on comment #24 from the top on the "Good Hair Day" post, isn't it? Look again and you'll find you. I didn't delete any comments! (If that's not you, then your comment never appeared. I didn't do that either--blame Blogger!) It really does not bother me that you didn't like my hair! As a matter of fact, I wanted to email you and thank you for your opinion (as I tried to email and thank everyone else too), but since you're "anonymous" and left no email, I could not. Again, I did not delete ANY comments! A differering opinion is certainly welcome, quilts or hair. No "Emperor's Clothes" scenario here...

Mom IsAmagpie said...

See what happens when a computer goes out of commision, you miss a hair vote and a fabulous new cut. That's ok though
I'm back....
(said in a totally creepy way).
I'm going to look through the rest of your posts and feel lazy.