Monday, February 25, 2008

The Phone Rang

Hmmmmph! Today, I planned on quilting and working on projects all day, but wouldn't you know it, the phone rang (grrrr...you know how I feel about that!) and sent me on errands all day. You want to tag along? Good. Because then I'll have someone to talk to while I wait in traffic. At least the scenery's good while we wait for things to open up.





First stop is the Lihue post office. I don't usually go to this post office, but I have to go to "the big city," so here we are. No Blaine here. I hardly know any of these post office people, so I won't take their picture. People get nervous about that sort of thing, and one thing should never do is anger a postal worker. Just sayin'...




I used one of my pillowcase bags to carry my pattern mail orders for the day. Those upside down bouquets make me laugh every time I see them. Note to self: next time, do not use directional fabrics for this pattern, especially if you're not planning on paying attention.




Coming out of the post office, I can't help but notice what a pretty day it is! Where to next?



Whoo hoo! Macy's! Yes, we have a Macy's here. As you can see, it's pretty tiny by Mainland standards, but we're lucky to have a Macy's at all! By the way, Macy's was the phone call I got this morning. They called me because these came in:




Yay! The Skechers I've been waiting for have finally arrived! Macy's called to let me know. (I guess not all phone calls are bad, just most of them). Now you know why I had to drop everything and go into town. When Macy's calls, you go. The island is very small and competition for a few items is fierce.

I think I'll take my new shoes and walk over to Starbuck's and get a steamed soy milk with nutmeg sprinkled on top. The mall looks pretty empty today.



Steamed soy in hand, we'll head back home to Kapaa. I have some books to pick up at the library.
I LOVE our little library. It's right on the ocean. Those of you who have been to Kauai will laugh at the chickens. Those of you who haven't, I'll let you in on the joke: wild chickens are everywhere. Other cities have pigeons or squirrels, we have wild chickens. Everywhere.



When you walk out the back door of the library, you are here, right on the ocean. You can pick out a book and go outside to read it at the picnic tables. Ahhhh. But it's late, so we better be heading back home.


Five o'clock in Old Kapaa Town and the traffic is stop-and-go. We only have one highway on the island, a two-laner, so traffic backs up in the evening. Fortunately, we're close to home.



Back home to cook dinner and settle in for some mindless TV and sock knitting. Perhaps I can get back to quilting tomorrow. I'm definitely NOT going to answer the phone tomorrow. Even if it is Macy's. Well...unless my burgundy pair with the cute little strap comes in. Then maybe.

19 comments:

SuBee said...

What a fun day!! And how ironic - my Life's Ambition is to visit a library in every state, but I might give up Alaska say, or Maine, to see that one twice.
Or four, five.......
Thanks for letting us tag along. Somehow daily errands don't seem so bad in your neck 'o the woods!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Oh, yeah; I hear you. What we sacrifice for fashion!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhh! We were at that little place/outdoor mall thing where the Starbucks is! We went to the cinnamon roll place. And I miss the chickens. Nice shoes too, what a great way to show off handknit socks!

Sally said...

What a delightful day you've shown us. Thanks for taking us along. I work in a library so that part of the trip was fun. Wish we had the ocean to look at where I work. But southwestern Missouri doesn't have ANY ocean. Love the shoes! Red ones? Gotta stop to go get THOSE shoes, you just gotta!

Elaine Adair said...

Gosh, I feel somewhat relaxes already. Thanks for the lovely photos.

Wildlife in the lawn? Out here we have coyotes! Hey, isn't travel broadening?

Have a happy quilt-y day.

Brooke said...

I am jealous again...I have forgotten the centipede! Thanks for taking us on your errand run!

Your shoes are CUTE!

susan said...

well lisa, you managed to make me cry a little. it is barely 15 with some snow. even thou it was mainly the east side and lihue, reminds me of how beautiful kauai can be... i do not miss the traffic and all the new people with way too much money who want to control it all, but i do miss my chair under the plumeria tree in my front yard where we used to dye fabric. i could sit out there for hours and watch the surf pound. i miss my quilt pals and my son and tori...whine whine whine...think i will go upstairs and do some sewing. i have a window that looks out on the backyard...maybe the squirrels fight over the black seed we have left out for them.

Anonymous said...

It is obvious you were there before the lunch crowd or those tables would be full of people eating the wonderful deli sandwiches there.
Next time you go to town let me know and I will meet you for a nice iced chai.

Lisa said...

thanks for sharing! It all looks lovely. Love the shoes too!

Mom IsAmagpie said...

Those shoes are great! I love the pictures of your travels, it's so beautiful there. The chickens made me giggle, my Mother in law travels to Puerto Rico a lot and there are always chickens in the background of her pictures.

qusic said...

thank you for taking me along, I love sightseeing trips this way. Your shoes rock! here it is windy, rainy and cold, the daffodils are beginning to bloom and I am on a second sock, so no stopping please ( suffering from a severe case of second sock syndrome)
Live long and prosper:)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your field trips (besides your quilting, your knitting, etc). My husband & I have always wondered what it is like to live in Hawaii. We had even bought a book on it a few years back. Thanks for the insight & great blog!

Donna

ladydi said...

Thanks to you we have a bit of paradise right here in Ohio. Love those photos (and the shoes are the best!), but what I'm really referring to is your Hula Hut pattern. Thanks again and again!
I showed my first hut to my two favorite gals in assisted living, and their delighted response gave me an idea. Instead of stitching all 20 huts into one wall hanging, I will make lots of little wall pictures to brighten up lots of winter weary rooms. This is such a fun project!

Happy Zombie said...

Another field trip! Oh I do so love these Lisa. Hope I wasn't too chatty while we were stuck in traffic. We. Umm. You. Gosh... it feels like I was with you!

Love the shoes. Actually, I ADORE them! Love the chickens on Kauai too... the "children of Iniki".

CONNIE W said...

Those shoes were worth the phone call...yes they were; I love them.

cinnamongirl93 said...

Thank you for the tour. I had a pleasant escape from snow land today by hanging out on your blog! I so adore the scenic pictures! Keep them coming...please! LOL!

Acornbud said...

Cute shoes. Thanks for taking me on the ride:)

Denise (Nour) said...

Thanks for the paradise island view of your life! Love your shoes! Enjoy!

Doris said...

I'm so jealous. It's snowinbg in Iowa today, again, for like the 48th time in February. Honestly.