Monday, February 4, 2008

My Heirloom Legacy Quilt? I Think Not.


Today, an excerpt from my second book, Stash Envy:

"Once upon a time, I found a darling appliqué pattern in a quilt magazine. It was a delicate little picture of three entwined roses tied with a blue ribbon. I hesitated a bit before I attempted it, as the large rose had twenty or more separate petals. Some of the pieces were no bigger than my thumbnail. But it was such a sweet little pattern; I just had to make it up.

It was a challenging applique pattern, but weeks later, I finished it. It was so pretty! I cut the block into and oval shape and appliquéd an oval border around it. I liked it so much that I hand quilted it with feathered wreaths and lacy loops. I mounted the entire thing on a piece of oval foam core board to finish it. I thought it was gorgeous! I found my husband in the garage and showed him my masterpiece.

“Oh…how nice. You made a toilet seat cover,” he said.

ARRRRGGH! No! It wasn’t a toilet seat cover! But now that he mentioned it, that’s exactly what it looked like. The size and shape was exactly perfect. He was right. I had worked for two weeks on a toilet seat cover. I could never look at that little quilt in the same way, ever again. After unsuccessfully trying to get the “toilet seat quilt” picture out of my mind, I gave up and hung it in the bathroom."

So now you get to see it with your own eyes...the infamous Toilet Seat Quilt. Meh.

8 comments:

Opal said...

That's hilarious! I think it's a gorgeous quilt, regardless of the shape. :)

Under the Lychee Tree said...

Great post! It reminds me of the days when finely pieced minature quilts were declared as lovely placemats by the nonquilters.

Dawn said...

I laughed so hard when I first read this in your book....now to actually see it, well, Lisa, it is quite beautiful even if it resembles the shape of well....you know.

susan said...

toilet seat cover? oh lisa...the comment about minis being placemats is just as crushing when you think how difficult and tedious it is peicing those small pieces.

cinnamongirl93 said...

In my opinion I think it resembles an antique mirror. But I do like your story! Very funny! You just have to laugh at yourself right? I laugh at myself all the time!!!I think everyone has had experiences similar to yours. Gives us great funny stories to share with others!LOL!!

SuBee said...

LOL that was a great story, and so good of you to show us the subject - I've wondered about that for a long time. I've owned 3 different copies each of both your books, because someone is always taking them! The next set is going under my matterss - shhhh, don't tell anyone.......

Jenna said...

Ha! Husbands have such a way with words sometimes, right? At least it gave you an idea of where to put it. Sometimes I tuck special things away and they never see the light of day.

sewinggranny said...

I do not see it as a toilet seat cover shape. If you think about the toilet shape it is more flat at one end. I think it looks like the old time oval frames that pictures were in. I think it is lovely you did an excellent job on it.