Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tropical, Sort Of

My Green Monkeys are finished!I loooooove them. The yarn is Lorna's Laces "Carol Green" and they're from Cookie A.'s free and extremely popular "Monkey" pattern. I made two mods: one was to add an extra repeat in the leg section to make them longer, and I did 2X2 ribbing instead of 1X1. They're funny and bunchy when they're not stretched out like this, but put them on, and they're gorgeous! I would need to change the ankle next time, though, as I have to stretch them a bit to get them over my ankles. Cookie A. must have tiny little ankles...I don't have tiny little ankles. I have tree trunks for ankles. And I don't need sock patterns to remind me of that fact, thank you very much, Cookie A. Let's you and I go walking in a hurricane one day and see whose ankles keep them from blowing away, shall we? Harumphh.



But I'll forgive you, Cookie A., and your winky little ankles because you gave us this:




Bee-yooo-tee-ful pattern. Thanks, Cookie. You're amazing.


Green Monkeys...sounds very rainforesty, doesn't it? Yes, I'm thinking we need to visit some tropical flowers right now:


I love anthuriums. The red color is amazing. Here are some flowers we saw at the Kauai Farm Bureau garden fair yesterday:
I love that salmon-y pink orchid! Gotta have that one. And look at these gingers!
That fuzzy one on the left kills me. It looks like some sort of alien that pops dramatically out of human stomachs occasionally. It hasn't happened to me personally yet, of course, I've just heard.



Above is a torch ginger. It's huge! You can see why it's called "torch" ginger, huh? It looks just like a lit torch.



Ah...tropical flowers. What else reminds me of the tropics? Hmmmm....


Why mittens, of course! I'm not going to wear them, I just want to make them! These are Elliphantom's Herringbone Mittens, available on her website for free (thank you, Elliphantom.) I think the fascination with mittens is the intricate patterns and colorwork in such a small project. This is my first stranded project and I'm hooked. It's fun watching colorful patterns develop under your knitting needles as you knit. Addictive.


I have my Squiggles quilt basted and today, I'll start quilting on it. I have no idea how I'm going to quilt it yet....but I'm so excited! I'll be back to show you soon...

27 comments:

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I'm totally impressed with those of you that knit. I tried and it was not for me. Love those socks though.
Only a week to go till I'm in your land. WOOOO HOOOOO Can I bring you anything???? Cause I will.

Angie said...

Lisa, I thought you might like to know it brrrrr---cold enough here in Santa Rosa for your socks---and your mittens! We had 37 degrees last night, and I have the fireplace going this evening. I had planned a trip to Harmony farms for veggie plants, but decided against that. The frost fans are running most of the night in at the winery across from us...brrrrr.

Angie said...

Lisa, sorry, something happened at my keyboard/PC and I didn't get to finish my comment---I wanted to tell you how wonderful your socks are! I love the knitted design. I've never learned to knit, so I enjoy seeing all your socks, and now you are doing mittens. Wonderful

SandyQuilts said...

Your socks are adorable ... wish I could knit. WOW the torch ginger flower is something ... wouldn't that make a beautiful quilt.

susan said...

i am still not sure why they call them monkey socks. the flowers were great. i sat outside today and got a little bit of a sunburn! last sunday mark was snow blowing and today he raked leaves...life in da UP :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! So beautiful orchids and other flowers! 7 of my 24 orchids will soon be in blossom in my house. Your socks and mittens are just great! In all countries around the Baltic Sea we have same kind of patterns for knitted items. In Finland all counties have patterns of their own for mittens. Still some snow left here and there were some -degrees last night, but it is sunny! Have a nice week!

Tine said...

Those socks are impressive! Looks like you need a lot af knitting needles to make them?!
I think I'll download that pattern and give that and some yummi yarn to my mom for mothers day... She's a knitter too!
Yup! I'll do that. Thank you so much for sharing! Maybe I'll give her a tropical flower too... Of course she'll have to have it inside. Not so tropical in Denmark :-)

Have a great week, and I'll be looking forward to seeing the squiggels!!!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Funny, Mauri cat in your sidebar. I won't show Hannes, he's currently having cat isues. Love those monkeys. I've never seen a Torch Ginger, thanks for the tropical flower tour!

MichelleB said...

You've only been knitting for a year? Wow. You are impressive.

Sally said...

Lisa! Those monkey socks are awesome! I have had them on my list to make for a while now and every time I see someone has made them, I move it up the list. Am still working on Sock Knitting Pentathlon socks so have to wait till they are done to start the monkeys! Yours are gorgeous! And the torch ginger? YEOW!!!

Opal said...

What glorious monkeys! I love how your mittens are knitting up too. :)

sheila said...

Lisa, I've been knitting for more or less 35 years and I haven't yet knitted anything as impressive as those monkey socks. I need to get my act together!

ladydi said...

Tropical flowers and wooley socks are a great combination! Both are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. (I have those ankles that will hold me in place in a gale wind also. I believe "sturdy" describes them.

Anonymous said...

I love those socks! I learn something from you today. Torch ginger. When I was in Singapore in January 08, I spotted an amazingly beautiful flower at Singapore Zoo, I had to take a few photos... my family thought I was crazy. I didn't know what flower it was until now. Thanks
Can't wait to see your squiggles!
Jeannie from New Zealand

Rhonda said...

Hi Lisa,
Your knitted socks and mittens are wonderful. I attempted knitting a long time ago, but I was very slow at it, so I gave up. I watched my Mom knit instead, because she could do it blindfolded.
Also, the tropical flowers and orchids are beautiful.

Under the Lychee Tree said...

Fun to see your smiling post. Loved the socks, will be looking over my shoulder when I hike for green monkeys! It's such a funny name for pair of socks!

cinnamongirl93 said...

The monkeys look great. I love the fact that you used a solid color. Very nice. I still want to see a picture of you wearing mittens in Hawaii! They are turning out fab! You do such nice work! I have never seen the alien plant before. Looks interesting. Have fun quilting!

Mom IsAmagpie said...

I have been eying those socks, but now after seeing yours I know mine will not compare. Ok really I just hate heels. I love the color you chose it's lovely. Can't wait to see squiggles.

Acornbud said...

Love those monkeys. So nice in green:)

Jodi Nelson said...

Love the Socks! So wish I could have gotten the hang of knitting better. I've crocheted for so long, and knitting just is so foreign to me.Thanks for sharin!

Kellie said...

I'm gonna have to send this post to my lil' sis. She's just started knitting! I, however cannot knit am hoping she'll teach me some day.

Those flowers are gorgeous! My mother used to own a florist and she would always order the most beautiful tropicals from Hawaii!

Julie in the Barn said...

I love the monkeys and all the beautiful tropical flowers. Thanks so much for sharing. Can't wait to see your sqiggles.

susan said...

EARTH TO LISA...EARTH TO LISA...OKAY I KNOW YOU ARE BUSY BUT IT HAS BEEN OVER ONE WEEK NOW SINCE WE HAVE HEARD FROM YOU AND SINCE YOU DO NOT ANSWER YOUR PHONE, NEED I SAY MORE.

I HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU AND CLAYTON AND CREW. JUST UP TO YOUR NECK IN PATTERNS, AND BOW TYING, ETC.

IT HAS BEEN SNOWING THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS WITH TEMPS IN LOW
20S. I DONT WANT TO WHINE BUT I WAS HOPING FOR A BIT OF SPRING BEFORE SUMMER HITS. MY DAFFODILS LOOKED WASTED, ALL THE BLOSSOMS ARE LAYING ON THE GROUND. BY NEXT WEEK WE ARE PROMISED SWEALTERING HIGHS OF 55 OR 56 :-)

BUT ALL IN ALL I LOVE IT HERE. THE BIRDS ARE BACK AND IT IS AMAZING TO WATCH THE PAIRS OF BALD EAGLES AND HAWKS. PLUS ALL MY LOVELY SONGBIRDS. ANYWAY, I HOPE YOU ARE OKAY. MISS YOU GIRL
MZ KINKKI

Natalie Rush said...

Your monkey's look WONDERFUL!!!

Mar said...

Love the socks, but, where are you? hope all is well.

Angie said...

Has anyone here heard from Lisa? I'm a bit concerned as it's been so long since she posted to her blog. Not like her to be gone so long. Hope she and her family are just busy. Nothing too serious.

Deb said...

Hi Lisa -
Just writing to ask how you managed to get a picture of my flabby upper arms in your picture of the torch ginger. I haven't been to Kauai for a couple of years! You're very clever.

Deborah in San Diego