Monday, April 14, 2008

A Short One

Just a short post tonight--for some reason, I am falling asleep at the computer keyboard. I did errands today and worked a little bit on my Squiggles quilt, so I don't have anything new to show you, either. A day late and a dollar short as the expression goes.

I guess I could always display a couple more of my zippered pouches...

I love this fabric! It's so happy! And what did Mr. Pouchy eat for breakfast???
My eyeglasses! Well, one of my many pairs of glasses, that is. I have to keep a couple of pairs of eyeglasses in my sewing drawer. I also have to keep a pair in my knitting caddy, a pair by my easy chair, a pair on my nightstand, and...well, you get the picture. I'm obviously over forty.

This next pouch was a challenge to figure out. I saw something like this in a store and wanted to try a two-zippered pouch with different lined compartments. I like to torture my brain by figuring out how to do stuff like this:

I like all the different fabrics together. I figured out how to engineer this thing so that both linings were finished inside--no raw edges. It was an origami puzzle!
By the way, there are many zippered pouch tutorials on the web if you would like to try. Here are some of my favorites:

Twelve22's zipped pouch tutorial

Mari's Bias Tape Purse at Purl Bee

At Sew, Mama, Sew a zippered pocket tutorial

At Craftster: Make a Lined Zippered Pouch

Zippers are not all that difficult, especially if you're not setting them in a dress or skirt. You basically just sew fabric to each side of the zipper and sew across the ends! Nothing to it. Easy.

Which reminds me, the Knitting Contessa tagged me to write a six-word memoir. This required many days of thought on my part, but I finally came up with this:

"It's Easy Once You Know How."

Life is about learning. I truly believe I can do anything I set my mind to if I think and try hard enough. Knowing this in my heart keeps me going every day. Some learning curves are steeper than others, but nothing is impossible.

If you are reading this, consider yourself tagged and try to think of a six-word memoir on your blog. It's an interesting exercise.

Okay...off to bed for me. I'll leave you with a short film of one of my husband's wonderful kinetic sculpture designs in action:

Nitey!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post is certainly zipper mad.
Love all your zippers. Great glasses case and project pouch.

Lisa said...

that double zippered pouch is sooo cool!!! are you going to write a tutorial for that one?!

Lisa said...

BTW, the kinetic sculpture is also very cool. Does dh do this for a living?

Anonymous said...

Wow, so nice pouches again! Your husband´s kinetic sculpture is amazing!

Howdy said...

I took you up on your Six Word Memoir... as I found the concept quite intriguing.

http://howdyblogs.blogspot.com/2008/04/six-word-memoir.html

Love your zippered pouches too - I'm gonna have to try some of those out.

susan said...

love the pouches and bags...maybe i should make some out of hand dyes...what do you think? clayton's clocks are really evolving. back to the dyeing. miss you girl.

Pieceful Jane said...

I can really relate to the eye glasses stashed everywhere concept. And now I finally have an excuse to make some pouches! I have lots of eye glasses that need a case. :) Yours are all so fun to look at. Thanks for another dose of inspiration.

Under the Lychee Tree said...

Zipper sewing is one thing I need to tackle again, it's been a long time, but your bright happy pouches give me a reason to try!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Love, love, love these zippered pouches. You're just a whiz at producing them! Thanks for the links. The kinetic sculpture is completely mesmerizing.

Sally said...

Love the zippered pouches. I'd have quit once I had to start the math on the double one. Good on you! Feel better.

Joan J said...

Love the pouches (and the fabric choices!). I can see why you were sleepy - I watched your DH's sculpture and it was so soothing, almost fell asleep myself! Two creative minds in one household - how wonderful!

Salem Stitcher said...

Okay...sewing something with a zipper is now on my list of 100 things I will do before I die. In the meantime, I am going to keep sitting here staring at your husband's kinetic sculpture. It is very cool.

Brenda said...

Your pouches are vibrant. I really enjoyed them and plan on checking out the sights you suggested. I like to try new things. I need a new eye glass pouch. Thanks.

cinnamongirl93 said...

Lisa you are such an enabler! I read your post at lunch and stopped at Walmart after work to pick up some zippers! I have cute, funky cheaters all over the house. Not to mention the two pairs in my purse just in case one of my friends needs a pair! I have even lent the extra purse pair to strangers struggeling with reading. Very interesting sculpture. It looks like it's made out of wood? O.K. now back to studying the tutorials.

Tine said...

Thank you so much for the links to the tutorials! Maybe now I will try to get over my fear of zippers :-) Maybe that's why I like quilts? Lots of sewing, but no zippers!
Your husbands art is gorgeous! You two are really talented.

Sarah said...

wonderful pouches! I, too, vote for a tutorial from you!

Your husband's sculpture is amazing. I love kinetic sculptures!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I love all your little zipper bags! They are sooooo cute. I'm gonna have to give it another try I guess. LOL!!!

Amanda Jean said...

I love your zip pouches!

Anonymous said...

I love the zippered pouch... love the happy fab too!

Had to laugh about your glasses being all over the house. YES... totally an over-40 thing for sure. Tagret's had $1 glasses in their dollar bins... I've bought like 20 pairs, scattered them all over the house... and STILL can't find a pair when I need one.