Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Fifty-four Forty or Fight

I'm still Squiggling, so I thought I would pull a quilt out of my trunk to show you. This is my Fifty-four Forty or Fight block quilt, which doesn't have a real name except for maybe, "Little Spaceboy Star" or something like that. I just wanted to play with the block when I started this quilt, but then I had a border idea, so I was compelled to finish it. I made it with a little boy in mind, can you tell? The background fabric has silvery shooting stars. The silvery gray color reminds me of spaceships and robots.


Do you see how I did the border? I just inserted nine-patch blocks at key places in the border to continue the some of the diagonal squares.
I quilted diagonal lines in the colored blocks to emphasize the diagonal feeling of the quilt. The rest of the quilting is just a bunch of little spirals. It's "tacked" between the diagonal lines with tiny spirals.
I really, really like my binding. I used up all the leftover colored squares I cut for the top and alternated them with with black squares to make the binding. It looks a little like a board game, doesn't it? I'm sure a little boy would invent all sorts of games and stories while he jumped his little Lego spacemen from one star to another, being careful not to fall off the colored squares and into the gray void.


Do you know the history behind the Fifty-four forty or Fight block? It has to do with an Oregon Boundary dispute in 1844. You can read about it here: Fifty-four Forty or Fight


On another note, my schedule is picking up tremendously now that Spring has arrived. I'll be teaching more, having Mainland houseguests, my son is coming home for the summer in a couple of weeks, and my email is...oh, gosh, I can't even face my Mt. Everest of email! I don't think I'll be able to keep posting every day anymore, but I will post occasionally when I have something crafty to show you. You'll definitely see my Squiggle quilt finished and posted soon. Thank you to all my visitors and my frequent commenters (I love you guys!), and I'll see you soon....just not every day...so don't worry about me, okay? I'll be here squiggling, quilting, knitting, crocheting, thrifting, and taking pictures of Mr. Squigglesworth....uh...I mean Bigglesworth...


Aloha and A Hui Hou!








29 comments:

. said...

Found this article in the San Angelo Standard-Times. One of the Lutheran churches in the area is doing a quilting marathon for the kids taken from the FLDS compound at El Dorado, TX.
http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2008/apr/16/quilting-marathon-for-flds-children-to-continue/

Tine said...

Have a great summer! I'll be looking forward to the occasional post from you :-)
Your fifty-four forty or fight is a wonderful playquilt for a boy. I could definately see some spacemen hopping around on there.
And thanks for the idea on the border! I like it when the borders are a little interesting...like this one :-)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Don't forget to breathe! The squiggle quilt is the BEST and I know you're right about inventing games to play on that quilt, the bindig is just great...what FUN! Well done!

Denise (Nour) said...

I always look forward to your postings. You have a wonderfully quirky way of seeing things and there is so much info that you share with us. For example, I plan on getting a tripod and trying out those other photography tips. Thanks for everything and enjoy your time with your son.

Anonymous said...

Such a nice quilt again! Have a nice time with all those activities! I´ll come to see your post now and then here. I´ll be busy too before my summer holiday.

jovaliquilts said...

That border is fabulous! I love things that look brilliant and are clever (and easy) in construction. Binding is great, too.

Busy Little Quilter said...

The quilt is beautiful. I love to make bindings using the fabrics in the quilt. It helps me to use most of the leftover fabrics.

Have a great summer. It is hard to post every day, and I have enjoyed reading your blog every day. I have you in my "feeds", so the next time you post, I'll be reading!

Sally said...

Have a wonderful time with your visitors. And thanks so much for all the great tips and inspiration. I'll miss reading you every day but I can identify with not posting daily. See you soon.

Andrea said...

Brilliant quilt - love the borders and the binding ! Look forward to your occasional posts - I try and update my blog twice a week but it doesn't always work out. Enjoy your summer and remember my offer to come and tie some bows for you still stands - lol !!

Lisa said...

gorgeous fabric, gorgeous quilt!!! will keep looking for your posts!!! Stay well!!!!

Cathi said...

Fabulous quilt. I love the binding -- really adds a final touch. The border idea is fabulous.

Have a great summer.

Libby said...

Have fun with all of your summer activities - take lots of photos to share when things settle down again. If you start to feel overwhelmed, take a deep breath and have some Hula Pie *s*

CONNIE W said...

Well I'll still be here looking for your posts when you get time to write. And in the meantime I'm reading your books...laughing my way through...love your quirky humorous tales! Keep enjoying life just as you have been! Hugs.

ladydi said...

I would never have learned about blogging if it hadn't been for you. Thank you ever so much for all the fun trips, the quilting advice, and your great sense of humor! Have a wonderful summer.

Kristin said...

Wow! I heart that quilt! I really like the gray background. I don't give gray much thought, but now I see how nice it is in the background. Have fun with your houseguests and your son coming home!

Elaine Adair said...

Your 54-40 or Fight is Out of this World - sooo clever. We have to all work on making our borders a bit more creative, like yours! This is coooool!

If you can't post as frequently as usual (BTW, thank you for all the posts) we'll still be here, waiting to hear what you're up to.

Adios, for now. (I'm trying to think) !

Vicky said...

I love that block, and your borders and binding are fabulous! Have fun! Will be checking in!

Salem Stitcher said...

Sounds like it's going to be a busy summer and a fun one too. Enjoy! Like everyone else, I'll keep checking in for inspiration and a giggle.

Marilyn said...

I love love love your "Fifty-four Forty or Fight" quilt. That border is fantastic. Have fun with all your guest and family. Blessings,

SandyQuilts said...

Lisa I'll miss you're postings but so understand. I keep my 3 GC in the summer so won't be sewing/quilting as we are very busy.

Have a wonderful summer, visiting with your son, other mainland visitors, teaching and etc.

Your fifty-four forty or fight is terrific. The squiggle quilt is adorable (I've read the instructions but they escape my brain).

Aloha

Under the Lychee Tree said...

I really enjoyed your posts. It was like getting a daily quilt magazine article. I will check back for more creative projects and fun stories. Have a good summer! I know it's going to be fun & busy!

Vicki said...

I ove your 54-40. I can see how it could be a leader and ender type of project. And yes, it holds definate possibilities for play. I'm going to have to add this one to my "sometime I will" list. Great blog, and have a great summer. Look forward to hearing from you as you have time.

Vicki

Acornbud said...

Another great quilt. Sounds like you are gearing up for a great summer. Have fun!

Mary Anne said...

Yeah!! Sounds like you have a busy and fun summer ahead !! ....and houseguests AND your kidlet is coming home for the summer!!(does he bring a year's worth of stinky laundry home as a special gift to you?)

ANyhow, GREAT quilt!! and have a good summer (may your laundry NOT overfloweth!)

We'll all be checking up on you here and there to see what's new and exciting over there in Hawaii!

Rhonda said...

Aughghgh.... I'll surely miss your post as part of the daily reads, but a post here and there will be great also.
your Fify-four Forty or Fight quilt is wonderful. Looking forward to see a complete Squiggles. 8-)

Anonymous said...

The 54-40 or fight is terrific! I appreciate your posts and your humor. We will miss the daily posts but won't miss the ones when you do post. Enjoy your 'squiggles' and have a great summer!

Opal said...

I've always admired your stamina for your substantial daily posts. I totally understand having to ease up on it!

Anonymous said...

I love this quilt and love how you migrated into the borders. I LOVE THAT!

So interesting about 54/40. I always wondered what that meant and what the story was behind it. Gosh, here I am in Oregon and don't even know that.

Have some great bloggy time off! I hear ya sistah on facing Mt. Everest and a busy schedule! I'm having a month where I just want to unplug my phone, disconnect my computer, disable my door bell, pull the plug on the tv, stock up on pork-n-beans... and just hibernate in front of my sewing machine. OMG... I'm a quilting Ted Kazinski!
xoxoxo-m

Heather said...

your quilt is gorgeous. Love all the bright colours.