Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Road to Hanalei, There and Back Again

We're here! Let's see if there's anything new today, shall we?
My, oh my...I think we're going to be here a while.
Yes, dear, just go to sleep and let the ladies do the shopping. We'll wake you up in a couple of hours.
This is what the other two-thirds of Strings and Things looks like. Musical instruments and some swifts and ball winders. Ukuleles and knitting equipment living in perfect harmony together. At least they don't sell bait.

I remember the very first yarn I bought here over a year ago. I didn't know how to knit then, so I bought some Cascade Fixation and made these:
Crocheted socks! Well, they're pretty heavy as socks go, so I would really call them more of a house sock. The Cascade Fixation is a very stretchy yarn, so unlike most socks, these socks have a ton of stretchiness to them.
They fit really well. I made them from the patterns in here: Learn to Crochet Socks book It's a good book--inexpensive with clear instructions and fun patterns using sportweight and worsted weight yarn. I like the Fixation yarn because it has elastic built into the yarn. Great stuff for crocheting items that you would like to make a little stretchier.
I found the dpn's I wanted, but I think I'll go easy on the yarn today. Let's do a little bit more sight-seeing in Hanalei and then head home, shall we?
I love this church in Hanalei. So pretty. It's the Wai`oli Hui`ia Church and it was built in 1912. I don't really know all the history, but I'm sure it's seen some hurricane damage in all those years, especially from Hurricane Iwa in 1982 and Hurricane Iniki in 1992. Looks like it's well-maintained, though, doesn't it? So peaceful.
Some pretty tropical gingers at Chin Young Village.
View of Hanalei Bay as we depart the North Shore and head back to the East Side.

Heading home, some fun moss monsters in someone's yard:

These have nothing to do with anything, but I think they're great!

That was a fun day; I hope you enjoyed our little trip to the North Shore. It sure is nice to get out of the house for a while. Tomorrow, we'll start a new quilting project.

16 comments:

Tine said...

That church is the most beautiful church I have ever seen! I want to win the lottery and go there to get married! It's amazing :-)

I'm looking forward to seeing a new quilting-project! That'll be a treat :-)
BTW how is Hernan doing on those beutiful black and green blocks he was working on?

ladydi said...

What is a dpn? I love the green church! Around here churches are mostly white or some sort of brick or stone. The Old Stone Church is a well known landmark in Cleveland.
My husband, Larry, is a musician, so I would have been the one napping in the corner in that store. :>} Thanks for the trip - let's go back to the Waipoli for a swim.

PAULE said...

HI Lisa
I've just discovered your blog and I find it wonderful. I live in a tropical island too but it's not as gorgeous as Hawaï !

Paule - Reunion Island
http://patchworkbroderieetcetera.blogspot.com/

cinnamongirl93 said...

Cool! You have a yarn shop on the island too! I'm so glad for you! I don't crochet but I can sure appriciate your socks! The church is beautiful. I always love taking a break from the day and going on a Hawaiian tour guided by you! Thank you!

Janet said...

Wish I could go back to Kauai! I tagged along in 1990 when DH was on a business trip. I remember it was such a beautiful island and someday we'll make it back there. Thanks for a gorgeous reminder of why I want to return!!

Busy Little Quilter said...

The trip has been fun. I love the yarn/music shop/socks.

I can't wait to see what the new project is!

Amanda

CONNIE W said...

Sightseeing was fun, but now I need a pineapple drink (non-alcoholic) with a little umbrella and a beach chair. Do we have time? Perhaps we could chat quilting while staring at the surf.

Cathi said...

That little church is so beautiful! Love the virtual tours you take us all on -- and can't wait to see your new quilting project!

Kristin said...

Thanks for the tour. Your facts are fine with me. I just found out we are going to be in Kauai next Spring for a conference and to play, so I am keeping notes on where to go! I can't wait to see the new quilt project!

Opal said...

Haha! You're yarn shop is bigger then mine. I need to do a post about my favorite LYS, just to show you the difference. :-)

Love the crocheted socks and the scenic views are beautiful as always.

Salem Stitcher said...

That church has a twin in Jekyll Island, Georgia. One of my quilting friends got married in that church a few years ago and our bee was the wedding party. It looks like the only difference in the two churches (besides geography) is the one on Jekyll Island is a deep brown. It is just as beautiful inside.

Thanks for the tour!

Brenda said...

I love all of your photos, how wonderful, continue to have a spectacular time.

Anonymous said...

A lovely tour again! I like the green church, too. I bet, I would walk out from that shop both with an ukulele and yarn... :-)

Mokihana said...

Hanalei,Hanalei moon,
is lighting beloved Kaua'i...

Hanalei, Hanalei moon
Aloha nô wau ia 'oe....

Sally said...

Oh, my, I love those squiggles! Hope she markets the design...I'd love to get my hands on it myself. Thanks for taking us along on your trip to the North Shore. I've never been to Hawaii but your travelogue makes me feel as though I have been.

Lisa said...

the shop looks oh so cool! and all the scenery is just gorgeous!!!!