Sunday, April 6, 2008

Missing Things

Well, duh. Now that you all have pointed it out, it seems so obvious! The lid on my thrifted sugar bowl does not go with the bowl at all. I guess I'll never get an appraiser's job on Antique Roadshow, eh? The lid fit on the bowl so well that it didn't occur to me that something was amiss. I did get this bowl at the same thrift shop as I got Fifi and her pitcher "partner"...so I probably should have suspected that there was someone doing some creative pairing. Hee hee...I think it's funny...and definitely worth two dollars!

Thanks to an intrepid commenter (thanks, janddj!), I now have a picture of the sugar bowl lid and the creamer I'm missing:

You know, I think I actually like my mismatched lid better! More character. Funnier story, anyway.

I think the most amazing thing about this adventure is the string of circumstances that had to occur before my little mismatched sugar bowl came to me. First, someone had to break the lid of the original lusterware sugar bowl, right? Then someone had to own another sugar and creamer set and break the bowl of that set, leaving just the lid. Then someone had to probably break the old lusterware creamer, too, because it wasn't at the thrift store alongside its partner (and why would they have given up just the bowl after so many years of keeping it, lid or no?). Also, someone had to notice that the spare lid fit the old sugar bowl that someone miraculously kept even though it didn't have a lid (until they broke the creamer). So was this all the same person? Two people? Three people? Or one little rambunctions tyke hoping that granny wouldn't notice?? Ah...a sugar bowl mystery! Did you catch all that? Good for you. You can have that job I didn't get at Antiques Roadshow.

Anyway..."janddj," thanks for the sleuthing and let me know if you run across a lone female poodle, huh? Fifi is lonely.

Last Sunday was a bittersweet occasion for our local quilt shop, Kapaia Stitchery. Some of you who have visited our island may remember the owner of Kapaia Stitchery, Julie Yukimura:



Julie was a hands-on fabric shop owner. If you had ever visited Kapaia Stitchery, you probably would've spoke to her about where you were from, or perhaps she would have taught you how to applique a Hawaiian pattern, or even give you a quick lesson on how to hand quilt. For nearly thirty-five years, she owned and operated Kapaia Stitchery, creating a thriving quilt shop and tourist destination waaaaay out in the middle of the Pacific ocean. She gave it her all and did it with aloha spirit.


Julie died suddenly and unexpectedly this past November. Ours is a small quilting community, and Julie was a very active member of our group; we're still in shock. Last Tuesday, April 1st, would have been Kapaia Stitchery's 35th Anniversary. Julie celebrated her anniversary every year with a sale, so her family decided to keep that tradition alive:



Julie's sister Lisa served up cake. There was ukulele-playing, hula dancing, hot dog eating, and lots of memories.
Her family, quilt family, and friends milled about and "talked story" on the lanai:

There was lots of fabric buying:


And chatting with quilters and visitors:
This is Julie's brother, wearing a custom-made Kapaia Stitchery shirt. Julie's brothers and sister are working hard to keep the shop open. The Yukimura family and Julie's employees are carrying on the way Julie would have wanted.
How did I celebrate Julie's memory? I bought fabric, of course. I have two projects in mind, and some or all of these may find their way in.
In any event, I'll always remember Julie and her kind and generous heart. Rest in peace, Julie. We miss you.

27 comments:

Denise (Nour) said...

It is so incomprehensible when someone 'leaves' us. Looks like your friend left a wonderful legacy...

Janet said...

What a wonderful story about Julie and her family. Brought a tear to my eye.

SandyQuilts said...

Thanks for sharing Julie's story and her quilt shop. Love your fabric selection.

This past week we from Quilting Passions forum lost a quilter friend.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely way to remember a friend! Made me a bit teary eyed too.

Nancy said...

What a nice tribute to a fellow quilter. Of course, the fabric is yummy!!

jacquie said...

A pretty special woman...what a wonderful way to remember her. I'm sure she's cheering your fabric purchase!

Libby said...

Shops that are beloved by the owner and the shoppers are the best kind *s* Sounds like a little bit of bittersweet mixed in with the fun.

Sally said...

What a legacy Julie left...and she has a wonderful family to carry it on. Thanks for sharing that lovely story, Lisa....makes one believe in humanity amidst all the killing and lying and theft!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa, Believe or not, but I also went to a trift store last Saturday and found there two similar teapots I happen to have. Actually I´ve only one left, because my DH dropped one of them. I love that fabric shop. What a lovely way to remember Julie.

Angie said...

Your wonderful story about Julie brought a tears. She looked so happy and vital in the picture. How sad. I'm glad her family is keeping the fabric shop going.

Loved your story about the lustre ware! and your thrift shop jaunts are always fun!

Hmmm---wonder what you will dream up with that fabric? Something beautiful I'm sure! You are so creative, and I love reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

Looks like even the cake got lei'd! So sorry for the loss of a great lady. Sounded like her family is trying to make the best of things.

Kim said...

A wonderful quilt shop. I love that the family held this celebration!

Rhonda said...

What a wonderful story about Julie! It made me all teary-eyed. And what a wonderful way to remember her by purchasing those fabrics.

Tine said...

It is so special when family and friends do something special to honor the memory of a dear friend!
It's often a little easier, atleast that's what I've found, when you have a special time to remember together.

About the lustreware, I'm thinking quilting GrandMa would approve (and paobably prefer) the mixmatch :-D

Julie in the Barn said...

I was on Kauai during March. We made not 1, not 2, but 3 visits to Kapaia Stitchery! It's one of my favorite "tours" when vacationing on my favorite island. I was not aware of Julie's passing. I will miss her.

I kept looking for you in Kapaa; at the library, at the PO, & at the fabric store, but no luck. Maybe next time! I did my part for the ailing economy & purchased lots of luscious Hawaiian prints to make my fishies from your pattern. And a bunch of the same greens you have picked, too!
Aloha from Julie in Ca.

dutchcomfort said...

Wonderful story about Julie and heritage. Imagine all those people who bought fabrics in her shop during 35 years!

Under the Lychee Tree said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures Kapaia Stitchery's 35th anniversary. I remember the 25th anniversary quilt we made for Julie...great times. Julie was a all around great gal!

Opal said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. What a lovely post to honor her memory.

artfilstitch said...

A lovely tribute to Julie! Sounds like a great family to continue on with her love of quilting. I like your sugar bowl find with the mis-matched lid. It certainly adds character. Thanks for sharing.
Liz

susan said...

was really nice picture of julie...i can hardly believe she is gone but her spirit lives on at the stitchery :-) looks like a nice gathering...makes me long for some of those tropical fabrics. i noticed the wheat on top of lid but didnt think anything of it. i believe you could buy that particular "china" at safeway with certain food purchases...my mom had the set, along with the circus peanut butter glasses...we are under severe winter storm watch...supposed to get 10-12" by tomarrow night, and here i am thinking spring had finally sprung

Anonymous said...

I first met Julie over 25 years ago when I started creating Hawaiian quilt pattern books that she sold in her store. Over the years I've sent hundreds of people to her fun, whacky shop stuffed to the gills with everything those with an interest in quilts could possibly want. It was a destination shop for anyone visiting Kauai. Julie was one of the local style quilt shop pioneers in Hawaii and she will be dearly missed.

Thank you for posting this wonderful tribute to her, I hope that her family will be able to carry on the delightful shopping experience she created.

Elizabeth Root

ladydi said...

Thanks for sharing Julie's story. I can't wait to see what you decide to do with your new fabric.

Vicky said...

What a wonderful memorial for Julie. She left a lasting legacy with the quilters on the island. Thanks for sharing her with us.

Unknown said...

One of the high points of my many trips to Kauai was seeing Julie at Kapaia Stitchery. I will always see her there...she's just around an aisle of fabric, or looking for something in her office, or...she is still there...

Busy Little Quilter said...

How sweet of her family to keep the shop open and keep her tradition alive. Like the others, this made me teary eyed, too.

I love the fabric, of course!

I'll keep my eyes open next time I'm in a thrift store for your lid. I love the story behind it all, even though it's made up, but probaby true. lol

tina said...

I used to see Julie twice a year, but hadn't for the past 3 years. She will be very missed, ya?

Her contribution went much further than Kauai and the quilters there, the true mark of a giving spirit.

Nice post Lisa---- thanks!

Unknown said...

My son and grandson live in Kapaa, so when I visit them I always visit the quilt shop. When I first went there I met Julie and she invited me to a quilting group meeting and told me about the quilt guild that was on the island. I found her so friendly as most people are on Kauia! I was just reading your blog and didn't know until now that Julie had passed. What a loss to the quilt community of kauai!