Monday, March 2, 2009

Economic Stimulus

This week, I've done my part for the economy. I'm not usually prone to the temptations of retail therapy, but something happened to my willpower this week. Perhaps these little Dutchboys and their cute little doggies had something to do with it:

My knees still go week when I look at this fabric. Look at those polite little doggies! Or how about this little animal party on pink gingham:

Agggh! Look at that elephant sleeping on his little rug. Irresistable. Don't they remind you of Little Golden Book characters? I got these two pieces (plus four others) from Superbuzzy. I LOVE Superbuzzy. I showed remarkable restraint. But someday, I'll have grandkids to sew for and all bets are off. Meanwhile, I'm slowly stockpiling. Stash stealth--that's my strategy. (It's also very hard to say ten times fast.)

Here is another purchase I made:

An adorable purse kit from Nanette at Freda's Hive. She supplied the instructions, outer panel fabrics, matching rick rack and fabric button (I LOVE that button!), and I supplied the handles and lining. The instructions were excellent and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

LOVE the button. Love the prints she picked out for this kit!


The instructions included this optional feature--slitted sides to make getting in and out of the bag easier. From now on, I'm giving all my bags this clever feature.


A peek at the inside. Don't you just love that yellow kitchen fabric??? Sigh.

The reverse--more wonderful prints.

I don't often buy kits because I feel like I want to make my "own" quilt or purse. But I love Nanette's taste so much! I wanted to work with what she picked out--and hopefully learn from her. I don't think I would have had the courage to mix these prints, but I did, and I lived! I LOVE this bag!

After I put Nanette's bag together, I had to have more. So I ordered this charm squares and trim kit from her:

It's a collection of lovely little prints and sweet trims. Some are vintage, some are Japanese imports, some are new fabrics. She also included a little precious pile of snippets, which I am still drooling over:

These are just a few of the snippets. Sigh. Thanks, Nanette. The kit is wonderful.

More excitement this week: I found a cigar box full of buttons and rick rack at a rummage sale:

These are just a few of my favorites. It's very hard to find anything old or antique here on the island; the weather, mold, mildew, bugs, etc. ad infinitum, are very hard on old things. People live a long life, but their stuff...not so much. So I'm always amazed when I run across things like this. It's very rare!

I also found a cutter cotton shirt that I couldn't pass up. The shirt was too small, but look at the fabric:

Happy frogs and mushrooms. I hope your day is as happy as these froggies.

28 comments:

MichelleB said...

You received and made all kinds of adorable stuff this week! So cute. I just love those fabrics - and that bag came out great.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful find....Buttons & thngs makes me happy too...Cute purse..love the side opening too!

jovaliquilts said...

As a public-spirited citizen, I want to thank you for keeping the economy afloat. You have inspired me to go out and do likewise! BTW, those first two prints are too cute for words.

Pat said...

CUTE stuff here today. (Well...not only today.....didn't mean it to sound like that! LOL) Thanks for sharing these "happy print" photos!

Salem Stitcher said...

I wouldn't be able to resist that sweet elephant napping on the rug either. Too cute!

ladydi said...

We all have to do our part to keep the economy going - good job! Don't you love the prices on the vintage ric-rac and buttons? 19 cents - Ha! I have some wooden spools of thread with a 10 cent price stamped on. Those were the days when $1 bought several items.

I can't wait to see what you do with your latest acquisitions.

Cathi said...

Oh, that bag is fabulous! And the fabrics are fantastic!!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I adore all of these fabrics, bright and happy... each and every one. I think the bag is simply superb, the slits for ease of getting in and out are inspired... I know I'd have trouble getting in, or out, at my size. ;) Thanks for a wonderful post!

Anonymous said...

Fun fabric lifts the spirits so enjoy yours and buy more, wink-wink.
I HEART that bag, oh my, it's so cool. I have yet to make my first bag, what am I waiting for!
Thanks for the sweet comment about Lily & the quilt on my blog :D

Needs Coffee To Live said...

I LOVE that kit! I think I may have to take a trip over to her site..... :-)
Oh, and I love the sleeping elephants!

The Calico Cat said...

Yummy, I have some of that dutch boy (or one very similar to it) & I grin everytime I see it. (I have a few other stylistically similar prints too.)

ilovebabyquilts said...

Love the froggies and the bee scrap!

Vicky said...

Really cute stuff! Haven't been here to visit you in a while. Lots of catching up to do!

Nanette Merrill said...

Lisa so so so cute! It turned out wonderfully. I'm so happy you showed me. I totally brightened my day. I've got to brag now.

thank you again!

Kaaren said...

Nanette deserves to brag. Your bag is wonderful Lisa. The fabrics and style exude happiness. This is my first visit to your blog and I'm happy I came...thanks to Nanette. She sent me over.

Now I'm off to read more. I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

I love your economic stimulus plan! Love your goodies from Nanette... and your bag couldn't be cuter. Isn't Nanette amazing who she pairs fabric! She's a fabric whisperer. But then so are you!

PS... I ditto'd a comment you left on Michelle B's blog. Not because I'm a copy cat... but are you reading my mind? And funny... Michelle's comment for you is right next to this comment box like yours was on her blog. I am way too easily amused. I may need a nap. xoxo-m

Anonymous said...

I DO need a nap. Not "who"... but "how" she pairs fabric.

Betsy said...

your bag is absolutely adorable.

Sherri said...

I love your Nanette bag...I've recently made one too from one of her kits...and I'm making her doll dress quilt as well...her fabrics, kits, and patterns are great!

Val said...

oh I just love the bag. It is gorgeous! I will have to check out her kits.

Dawn said...

I just found you through Nanette. I love your blog!! I just made one of Nanettes bags too and I am just about finished with her All Dressed Up quilt. FUN FUN!!

Jodi Nelson said...

What a great post! I LOVE the bag you made from Nanette's kit! I have been eyeing those bags. I just might have to get one now. LOL Everything is so fun to see and read about. Those fabric's remind me of my childhood. Very cool.

Dionne said...

Nanette at Freda's Hive has wonderful things doesn't she! I love your bag, it's come out fabulous!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Love those japanese fabrics. I've been collecting for awhile. I hate to cut into them.
Great bag you did from Nanette's kit. Cute!!!!

susan said...

i am envious of the old rick rack and buttons...what a score! seen or heard from cynthia? i started my first knitting project. using a lavendar alpaca yarn. it is called a "sibori" scarf. and in the end it will be felted. i will post some photos as i go along. i love it!

Rhonda said...

Love those fabrics!

Cute bag too.

Jeanne said...

We must do all we can to help the economy! Love the purse. The buttons, rick rack and fabrics are wonderful, also.

Kellie said...

ACK! Too cute!

I did some economic stimulating at the fabric store today too...nothing as cute as those little dutch boys, however. ;)