Friday, March 6, 2009

No Nene's Kauai Humane Society Quilt

I belong to a large quilt group called the "No Nene" group. We meet once a month on the North Shore of our island. It isn't an official guild, but we do manage quite a few fund-raising activities throughout the year. We don't have a facility at which we regularly meet; we usually meet at member's homes.


Recently, we met at Sue's house, which has several jaw-dropping features:



An oceanfront acre of Hanalei Bay. No kidding. Can you imagine? I'm giving you a peek at the front of the house as you walk up to it. On my next post, I'll show you more of the inside of the house and the views from her lanai. You will DEFINITELY want to come back for that, but today, we're going to talk about No Nene's fabulous quilt!


Continuing along with the "awesome" theme, this is the quilt that the No Nene group made for the annual Kauai Humane Society fundraiser:


Click to enlarge any of these pictures (it's worth it!). This quilt was a group effort. Many wonderful quilters worked hard on this quilt (sadly, I didn't attend much last year, so I can't take any credit at all). But I must mention Jeni Hardy as one of big contributors, as she set all the blocks together with the small mosaic sashing blocks, and also machine-quilted the quilt.


Fiber artist Lea Ingram designed the reef portion, hand-painted seabirds, and I'm sure was responsible for many more aspects of the quilt.




Various members made the creature blocks.



Many of these creatures were from commercial patterns. Barbara Bieraugel from the Big Island designed many of these blocks and her patterns are available through Kapaia Stitchery at 808-245-2281.


Some of these other blocks were from McKenna Ryan's Sea Breeze pattern series. I'm sure you can google that name and find a local source.


Fantastic machine-quilting, Jeni. You can't really tell in this picture, but the thread Jeni used was metallic sparkly thread and it gives the quilt a gorgeous shimmer.




I love the jellyfish! Well, I love the quilted version of the jellyfish. The real ones are not so great up close. My son and I had a run-in with a jellyfish when he was three and it was not pleasant for either of us. But they are quite beautiful from a distance!



I love the jumping dolphins! I can't figure out how they did that one. Broderie perse? Or Lea's amazing painting? I must ask next time.


Eileen Sanders embroidered the seahorses. Eileen does most everything by hand, so you can imagine what these look like up close.


I know some of the other No Nenes designed original blocks, but I don't have a listing of individual efforts. Besides, one of the meanings of "No Nene" is "No Name," so I guess that's appropriate. The group effort is what made this quilt so amazing.


Another view of the quilt, held by volunteers on Sue's lanai. I just love the colors in this quilt!


This quilt will be up for auction/ticket sales in May (I'm not sure exactly how they will be doing it this year.) For more information, you can call our Kauai Humane Society at 808-632-0610 Tuesday-Saturday. I don't think they know I'll be posting this, so early callers may get conflicting information. Our Humane Society is wonderful but small, so please be patient.

On my next blog post, I'll show you some more pictures of our meeting. You will not believe the view from the lanai. You just won't. I still can't....

Edited on 3/6/09 to add: Dr. Becky of the Kauai Humane society left this comment: "Aloha No Nene Quilters, Lisa Boyer and all, Absolutely stunning quilt and thank you so very much from all of us at Kauai Humane Society. Our annual dinner and silent auction is scheduled for May 9th at the Marriott with this year's theme, WOOFSTOCK. Go to kauaihumane.org for more details coming soon. Mahalo, Dr. Becky & the gang" Thanks for the info, Dr. Becky!


30 comments:

Pat said...

That quilt is breathtaking....and I'm sure the photos in your next post will really be over the top, so to speak....can't wait! (Did I hear you say you want some of your blog followers to visit you there? I thought I heard that.....LOL)

Rhonda said...

Wow, wow, wow!! That's an awesome quilt!

Can't wait to see more views from Sue's lanai... I want to live there! :D

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This is the most incredible group quilt, and in such an amazing location... do you need more members?

MichelleB said...

A beautiful house! Wow. I can't even imagine living there. And a beautiful quilt, too. Stunning.

Anonymous said...

Aloha No Nene Quilters, Lisa Boyer and all,

Absolutely stunning quilt and thank you so very much from all of us at Kauai Humane Society.

Our annual dinner and silent auction is scheduled for May 9th at the Marriott with this year's theme, WOOFSTOCK. Go to kauaihumane.org for more details coming soon.

Mahalo, Dr. Becky & the gang

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! It's so incredible!!!

Sandie said...

what a truly amazing quilt! Thank you for sharing it and posting where we can get patterns :-)

Anonymous said...

Not only a fabulous quilt, it's a fabulous group quilt and I think in some ways they are much harder to achieve. Congratulations to all concerned and many thanks for showing us.
Sally

Sally said...

Oh, my gosh, that is stunning. I have a couple of McKenna Ryan's patterns (actually, my LQS did one of them as a BOM, compelte with her fabric - still languishing in the pile of kits that I plan on doing this year!)

Glad you are back among us, Lisa...you were sorely missed, to be sure!

Jeanne said...

Awesome quilt! It should raise a nice amount of money. Lots of inspiration in that locale.

susan said...

remember the first kauai humane society quilt we did? there was even a whale block by doreen speckmann in it? i remember your blocks were pretty cute. Ya know all those curved countertops in sue's house, we at waihona cabinettes, made them. mike made the templates but wasnt around to actually make the counter tops :-( it is nice she is letting people in her house finally. when i was there she was still freaked out about all her white walls and afraid everyone who entered was going to put their hands all over them. if i ever make back to kauai i am going to have her give me the grand tour!

Acornbud said...

Wow! What a beautiful quilt! The jellyfish is too cool. Thanks for sharing:)

Unknown said...

Beutiful and creative work - good luck with the auction !

Michelle said...

Wow, that's fabulous!

ladydi said...

Stunning quilt - I love to see what can happen when people put their creative talents together.

I think I'm looking forward to seeing more of the house, but I haven't fully recovered from the Waipoli hotel you took us to - I sooo want to go there.

Anonymous said...

What a quilt!!!! You are all so talented! It is still winter here so it is so nice to see views from your island!

Willow Grove - Kez said...

Fantastic quilt. Love the underwater design.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is certainly an incredible quilt!

Quilts And Pieces said...

OK, tell your friend she would LOVE to sell that house to me! Boy would I love it! That quilt is amazing! How creative and beautiful it is. I hope it brings in lots of money. And I"ve been to Kapaia Stitchery!!!

Salem Stitcher said...

Beautiful. The colors are glorious. I hope the auction goes well!

Lynn W. said...

Absolutely gorgeous! And for such a good cause, too. Hope it brings bunches of money for the little critters.

Needs Coffee To Live said...

Absolutely STUNNING! I've seen a couple of those patterns through my local quilt shops :-) It's for a great cause!!!

Vicky said...

That quilt is awesome! I hope they gets tons of bucks!

Last Friday at sew-in, I was pleased to see a teacher in there making a class sample of your Baby Hony Sea Turtle pattern. It was looking fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Simply Beautiful .....The Kauai Humane Society is very lucky to have the "No Nene" quilters contribute to a worthy cause!!!!

Regena@QuiltnQuiltthings said...

I just found your blog. Beautiful quilt. What a great project. I have enjoyed your books (great laugh) and plan to come back to visit you again.
Hope you have a great day.
Regena

Dionne said...

That quilt is STUNNING!

Browndirtcottage said...

Amazing quilt!! All 'creatures' look life-like!!.........'Woof-stock'...that's a hoot!!

Anonymous said...

Aloha Lisa
I am so excited to see that some of my patterns were used on this beautiful quilt. I hope that it raises a lot of money for the cause.
Barbara Bieraugel

Kellie said...

Absolutley gorgeous! I think I could be inspired to quilt pretty things in that setting!

Sunny Bach said...

Now I am REALLY homesick!See ya'all
next weekend!