Monday, March 23, 2009

Sue's House, Part Three

Last time, I gave you a glimpse of Jenny's undersea kaleidoscope quilt. Here's Jenny holding up her quilt top:
She did such a beautiful job on the kaleidoscopes!
Synchronized swimming mermaids.

Neat, huh? Beautiful job, Jenny.

And here's a cutie quilt top by Carol, who is standing behind the quilt holding it up so you can't see her:

I love the boney border!

After the quilt show and tell, I wandered upstairs to find Sue's sewing room. Here is the stair landing:

Look at all that storage! I love the curvy lines.

A peek at the view in her bedroom. How would you like to wake up to this view every morning?


I eventually found the sewing room. It was marvelous. Stunning. As a matter of fact, I think I was so stunned that I forgot to take good pictures. Has that ever happened to you? There's so much to see that you just can't seem to put the camera between your eyes and what you're gawking at? That was me. So believe me, this sewing room was soooo much more than my slightly crummy pictures. I wish you could've seen it in person!

Of course, I kept getting stunned by the view. Deer in headlights, you know?


Built-ins everywhere. A sink. Miles of counter space. Acres of room to create in.


Uh oh. Someone please take the camera away from me. I'm fixated on the view. I didn't even take a picture of the sewing area. Or all the storage! Or the thousands of drawers and cupboards.

Oh well, maybe next time I'll be more immune to the view and I'll be able to get better sewing room pictures. Man. Did you see that sewing room view???

Back at home, I finally finished quilting the thread-eating quilt. I'm not going to even talk about all the thread blobs on the back. Meh.

I also have been knitting a lot in between thread break tantrums. I've finished socks, two hats, a scarf, and started a shawl! Here's the scarf:

Yummy yummy Cascade Baby Alpaca. The color of strawberry ice cream.

A close up of the pattern. The pattern is Stephanie Pearl McPhee's "One Row Scarf," available on Ravelry. Here's the link for all you Ravelers:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/one-row-handspun-scarf

More knitting and quilt pix soon.


27 comments:

Jodi said...

Hi Lisa,
With all those curves inside, I am wondering what the outside of the house looks like. Any pics of the house outside?

A person could live just in the storage cabnets in that sewing room, open to the view of course!

Jodi

imquilternity said...

Love your scarf, Lisa. The color is beautiful and it looks great on you! I'm curious, where does your friend store her stash? That sewing room was waaaaaay too organized!

Cathi said...

Oooh, that sewing room and that view!! Wow! It looks like a little slice of heaven!
Love your scarf but can't help grinning at the thought of a wool scarf in Hawaii. :-)

Karin said...

Wow what a house, what a view!! I would feel like I´m on vacation every day! No compare to Germany.

I like the scarf and the color - looks great on you.

Anonymous said...

Your scarf is so lovely! I love the colour! I liked also very much to see the sewing room in Sue´s house. We still had -13 C degrees outside last night... Wish to be in a warmer place...

Unknown said...

Wow, that is some view! I am jealous and would love to have a view like that from my sewing room. No wonder you forgot to take pictures of the sewing area. OOOOO.... I just love baby alpaca, so soft!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I think that's what all the sewing rooms in heaven must look like. Thanks, Lisa!

Pat said...

All those built ins are WONDERFUL......how terrific to have so much storage available. I am loving that view, too. AND...yes...the next time you go back....do more photos of that sewing room...maybe even her stash?? LOL (What lucky fabric to live in such a place!!! hehehe) I love the way the mermaids are positioned on your friend's kaleidoscope quilt. PRETTY scarf, too. GREAT post, Lisa!

Needs Coffee To Live said...

"Jelious" doesn't quite begin to cover the envy I have of her sewing room :-) I'm pretty sure her sewing room alone is the size of my apartment lol!!!

I LOVE that kalidescope quilts...that's on my 'to do' list in my sewing room (aka bedroom). And I also loved the bone borders on the dinosaur quilt, they're so much fun :-)

Oh, and I love you're strawberry ice cream scarf :-D Up here in NH it went back to freezing...had to pull my own scarf out again this morning. Ugh.

Sally said...

Well, at the risk of sounding like all the rest, I LOVE that house! I thought my sewing room was gorgeous, but Sue has me beat!

And that scarf has been in my queue for quite some time...might just have to get it OTN between rounds of Sock Madness.

BTW, have you lost weight? You appear to have lost a couple of pounds. If so, good for you. If not, who's your photographer?

MichelleB said...

What a sewing room and a view! I'm not sure that I would get much sewing done.

Love the scarf. Aren't you going to show us the socks?

Mom IsAmagpie said...

Hey at least your pictures are clearly from an upright position. I probably would have fallen down at the sight of storage and a view seeing as I currently have neither. LOL Those quilts are amazing!! I love the mermaids especially.
Your scarf looks yummy. What socks did you make?

SandyQuilts said...

Thank you and thanks to Sue too .... WOW what a beautiful home.

Rhonda said...

WOW!! Awesome house and gotta love that sewing room!!

Nice scarf!!

Nancy said...

I knew I should have dropped out of college and married Tom Selleck 29 years ago (Geeze!! Did I saw 29???)

Thanks for sharing!

Waiting for warmer weather in PA,

Nancy

Anonymous said...

WOW!.....Lve the VIEW and the Sewing room is to DIE FOR!!! Wish I was there to see it all!! Thankyou for Sharing. ....Love the Scarf...I forwared the email info to my Sis (the Knitter).

Salem Stitcher said...

It must be difficult to get any work done in that sewing room. I'd spend all my time staring out the windows. It is beautiful inside and out.

Dionne said...

Goodness, what a view! That is a really, really fantastic view.

I love your scarf. One of these days I really must learn to knit. My 12 year old daughter knows, but not me. And now looking at your beautiful scarf, on such a cold Seattle morning, I have scarf envy!
Cheers,
Dionne

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh man, that view! And I could just live in bed with THAT VIEW! But wait, a sewing room with A VIEW!!! Geez, I have views - but not like that!!! snicker!

Vicky said...

What a fabulous house, fabulous sewing room! And so neat! I'd probably all that wonderful space junked up in 10 seconds. Thanks for the tour and the view!

susan said...

isn't the alpaca dreamy. i love going to the farm. when it gets warmer, we will knit around the pond and you can see all the alpacas from there. i bought yarn at a quilt shop yesterday!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

I am LOVING your blog! I clicked over to your cat quilt post and laughed so hard. I made mine his own blanket and he wanted NOTHING to do with it. How do they know?!?

Sue said...

I'm SO glad to have found this blog today. I'm looking out my window at dark skies & falling snow (in MI), so looking at all the beautiful quilts and gorgeous views has been a treat!

T@iy@ said...

I am from Michigan and I am LOVING the view... and of course everything else... but I can't get past a view like that! (Not to mention the weather that goes with it!

Love the dancing mermaids!

T@iy@ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kellie said...

I've enjoyed touring Sue's place. Those views! That beautiful home! That sewing room! Um, I wanna move in with Sue...tell her I won't eat much and I don't take up much space!

happy zombie said...

THE VIEW! I'm pretending you're actually in North Dakota and those are just murals taped to the outside of the windows. WOW... what a great studio, what a great view!

I taking a big deep inhale.... I smell imaginary sea air and spam musubi. Ahhhhhhhhhhh.