Thursday, January 31, 2008

In the Kitchen



Well, hello there!


Nice of you to stop by! Oh my...you caught me in my apron! What's that, you like my apron? Why thank you very much! Yes, I did make it myself, thanks for asking. I got the fabric at a Jo Ann fabrics in Moscow, Idaho, when we were there last October. And I made up my own pattern, too! It has just the right size waistband, just the right size pocket and it's just exactly the right length for me. Yes, I am quite in love with this apron myself.





Did you see the black wagon wheel button? And the black and white dotty ribbon? And my special pocket that's just the right size? Yes, I love my new apron. I wish I could wear it somewhere besides my kitchen and my blog...but oh well...all the important people get to see it, right?





This is the view from my kitchen window today. In the distance is the Anahola mountains. I'm not sure what the Hawaiian name is for this particular set of mountains, but around here, the pointy one in the middle is affectionately known to Kauaians as "Kong." That's because it looks like King Kong's profile. Do you see him? This is not the best angle to see the profile perfectly, but that's okay, because I know it's him. He's looking toward the ocean. There's a papaya on the papaya tree out there that's too tall to reach--looks like the birds will be having dessert on us today.


Also in the kitchen today, I'll be using my new coasters that my son's sweet girlfriend Angela made for me as a Christmas gift. Aren't they wonderful?


I love these! They are so handy. You can even insert the bottom of your glass stem in them and they stay on, so you don't have to look for a coaster every time you set your glass down. Angela made them from this web tutorial: Criss Cross Coasters at Allsorts. She said they were a lot of fun to make; I think I'll be making up some for Christmas this year. It's always great to have a handmade gift ready to go when unexpected friends drop by to look at your new apron.

As long as I'm in the kitchen, I might as well start dinner. Tonight, we'll have grilled ahi. I think I'll make our favorite broccoli dish to go with it:

Stir Fry Broccoli with Mushrooms

1 large bunch broccoli, stems peeled and chopped and heads cut into flowerettes

1/2 lb or less small fresh button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced

2 tsp. oil (canola or olive)

1 tbsp. butter or substitute

2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped

1 tbsp water

1 tsp. cornstarch

2 tbsp shoyu (good quality soy sauce)

Combine water, cornstarch and shoyu in a little bowl and keep handy. Heat oil and butter in large skillet or wok. Stir fry broccoli a minute or so. Add garlic and stir fry some more, coating broccoli about 3 more minutes. Add mushrooms and let them release their juice for a minute or so. When everything looks al dente (broccoli should still be bright green and crisp-tender), pour in the cornstarch mixture and toss. Let the cornstarch thicken--it happens pretty fast. Serve immediately while still hot.

Variations: sometimes I add a little crushed ginger in with the garlic. I also sprinkle this with toasted sesame seeds when I remember.

Whew! Looks like I'm all martha-ed out for the day. You'll have to think of your own dessert. I'm off to finish the toe of my Cable Rib sock, which has been slow going at 10 rows per night. Tonight, I'm doing my last kitchen-y thing of the day...the Kitchener Stitch!

By the way, thank you all SO MUCH for all your comments. I love them! I get so excited when I get a new comment--I'm embarrassed to admit how many times I check each day. And it looks like Janet Evanovich wins the dubious distinction of looking most like my cosmic twin--I never heard that one before--but you know, I think you're right! And that's great, because I love her...

6 comments:

SuBee said...

There you are! I'm a fan, and haven't seen much of you for awhile - glad to find you again. I never knew you are such the kitchen maven - is there no end to your talents? The broccoli is going on the table for lunch - oh, and the apron is really quite fetchiong! Suits you to a T!

Sally said...

Kitchen maven! I like that! My DIL has quite a fondness for aprons. She sends me patterns and I make them up for her..I've got 2 right now that are staring at me every time I walk into the studio. Working even part-time sure cuts into my sewing time! Yes, you surely do look a lot like Janet Evanovich...such a lovely comparison! I love both yours and her books! Works out great that way, huh?

Opal said...

That apron is so cute! It's just perfect really. :)

cinnamongirl93 said...

I love the wagon wheel button and the trim you chose for the apron! Looks fantastic! The view from the kitchen..mmmm...beautiful. I've got to keep your Hawaii pictures away from DH! My gosh that is King Kong!!! How cool is that?! Hope the socks are going well. Still haven't tried that yet. Maybe this week-end. BTW We got hammered with a snow storm last night into this morning. About 8" of the fluffy stuff. I am in snow heaven!

Natalie Rush said...

The apron looks awesome!! I have been wanting to make some for me. I like the coasters too.

Happy Zombie said...

Your apron is so cute, your photo even cuter.

Nice mauka view you have... and I see Kong! I've also seen Queen Victoria on your island. Hope she's not scared of Kong!