Tuesday, April 8, 2008

On the Road to Hanalei

Here we go on another field trip! Today, I'm taking you to a surprise destination on the north shore of Kauai. We'll make a few stops along the way, of course. (It may take a couple virtual days to get there, though. I like lots of stops...) Our first stop is Banana Joe's in Kilauea because it's warm outside and we need a cold tropical frosty to sip on while we make our way up north.

We can pick up some fresh fruits and vegetables for dinner tonight, too. Banana Joe always has something interesting to try.
Mmmmm...fresh baked local bread.
It looks like they only have pineapple frosties today...but that's okay because pineapple is my favorite! Banana Joes makes amazing frosties--they're 100% frozen ground fruit, no sugar added. The consistency is just like ice cream! Yummy. My second favorite is banana. We'll have to come back another day to try the banana, eh?

You're my guest, so your ice cold sweet pineapple frosty is on me. We'll pay Cindy at the register. Cindy is Mrs. Banana Joe and Cindy is a quilter! Cindy also happens to be the mother of Angela, my son's sweet and adorable girlfriend. Kauai is a small island. Oh hey...before we pay for these, we ought to grab a bag of fresh roasted macadamia nuts. They go good with frosties.
Well...lookie here. Banana Joe himself. Hi Joe! He's still got his frosty-making uniform on.
Let's sit a minute and enjoy the view. It's a lovely day, isn't it?

That was a nice snack. Wha? You're still hungry? Then let's stop by this new little restaurant I've just heard about in Kilauea town. Here we are! This is the "stone building" in Kilauea. I know it has another name, but everyone just calls it the "stone building." There are a few other "stone buildings" in Kilauea, but they're called something else. Nice little crowd today. What did you order?
MMmmmmm. I got the ahi soft tacos, my favorite. I thought I'd try some of this Kombucha juice that Cindy just told me about, too.
Yum-O! The tacos are delish. The Kombucha juice...not so much. Ah well, it's fun to try new things. Preferably not new yucky things, though. Yuck. Sorry. Ick. Okay...enough of that. But...ewwww....yuck. This stuff HAS to be healthy. Bleah!
I've already used up my picture allotment for today's post! Looks like I used up most of my pictures on food. That's okay, we'll need the energy for all the shopping we'll do....

23 comments:

~Joan said...

Thanks for the field trip. Are you ALONE? What a shame if so. I see you have tour denim purse with you though.

Do you get recognized and thronged by eager quilting fans everywhere you go near home?

~Joan

SandyQuilts said...

Beautiful ... thanks for the tour. Someday I'll get back to the Islands.

I'm sure you've told the story but how did you come to move to the Islands?

Busy Little Quilter said...

Thanks for the field trip. I told my kids I would love to go to Hawaii one day. So, we looked at it on our globe. I couldn't find it! I can find it great on my State Farm Atlas. Finally I saw these teeny, weeny, dots in the middle of no where, except the Pacific Ocean, and I don't know. I may get clausterphopic! lol

I would love to go there, though, especially now that you take us on these beautiful field trips and feed us so well.

Mom IsAmagpie said...

Thanks a lot for making me hungry, I somehow think a Boston Fish Taco will not taste the dame as yours. So the Kombucha is gross? I have been thinking of getting some at Whole Foods every time I'm there, they had all yummy flavors and stuff. I think you are supposed to be able to do it at home too, alright that's enough. Thanks for the first part of the field trip my seat belt is back on AND my hands are in the vehicle.

jacquie said...

Thanks for the trip...feel like I've already eaten. Maybe that's the trick to losing weight...virtual food!

Sally said...

What a fun day so far! I'm afraid I don't eat fish so, although those tacos look delish, I would have opted for something else instead. Sorry about the juice - ick is a perfectly wonderful word, don't you think? I'm anxious to see what tomorrow brings.

BusybeeDebQuilts said...

Ooooo yummy ... those tacos look good!

Cathi said...

Oh, how I love your virtual tours! Freshly roasted macadamia nuts?? Lucky, lucky you!

Unknown said...

I loved the tour! Those fish tacos look yummy!

Libby said...

Frozen pineapple drinks and fish tacos . . . this trip is off to a great start *s*

sheila said...

Lisa, your blog is one of my all-time favorites! Your field trips are the best! And I'm inspired by every thing you make. Thanks!

Lisa said...

Looks heavenly!!!

Anonymous said...

If you're ever down in Koloa (did I spell that right?), they too have a fabulous fish market with the plate dinners. We had the salmon, the Kalua pork and the pork that was wrapped in tea leaves. Yum.

Tine said...

Yum! Pineapple frostie! Sounds really good. Plus.....pineapple just tastes different in Hawaii! I remember they had pineapple in McDonalds in Honolulu when I was there back in.....gosh!......'93!!! That's a while back. Oh well, must have made a great impression, since I remember it very well :-)

Acornbud said...

Heavenly Hanalei...lovely:)

Kellie said...

I am fairly certain that I will be dreaming of the Pineapple Frostie for weeks.

We are on Spring Break this week and I had no travel plans other than a day trip to Nashville...I'm so glad that I got to leave the bleary Kentucky rain today and spend a few moments on a field trip to beautiful Hawaii. Thanks for that!

Anonymous said...

I love both fish, tacos, pinapples and macadamia nuts! It is always so nice to see your tours! Just made two shopping bags of empty coffee packs.

Kim said...

Many thanks for today's field trip. What is the story on the tour denim purse that Joan mentioned?

Opal said...

Now that you've got me just ravenous, I think I'm going to eat some lunch.

Thanks for the tour!

ladydi said...

I so enjoy your field trips! Thanks for taking us along.

CONNIE W said...

Stop it already...you're making me gain weight from all the food. Well, ok, just a little more...how about seconds on the pineapple? I know it's the best there is.

Salem Stitcher said...

Macadamia nuts...yummmm
Fish tacos? I've never been tempted but, man, do they look good. I may just have to give them a try.

Rebecca said...

I looked up Kombucha in Wikipedia. Yuck. The words that got to me were "zoogleal" and colony. Think I'll pass.

However, fish tacos! Yours look great! So San Felipe (Mx) and southern California aren't the only places to find them! It figures that Hawaii would be the next place.

Those frosties sound wonderful! Next time I'm on Kauai, I'm stopping in Kilauea. It'll also be the first time for me to visit the Kapaia Stitchery (wasn't quilting the first several visits).