Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Nine Patch Mystery

I wish I'd taken more pictures of this little quilt before I donated it. I didn't like it very much at the time, but now that it's gone, I'm liking it much better!

I was inspired by a book I saw at Border's. A full-sized quilt that looked very much like this one was on the cover. I thought about the book for a couple of days, went back to purchase it, but it was gone. I didn't even get the author's name or the name of the book! So here is my attempt at reproducing her quilt from memory:

My apologies for not being able to give credit to the wonderful person who designed this quilt! I like the pattern; I think I just fell out of love with the quilt during the making because I'm not used to staring at these intense colors. My eyes needed a vacation before I could appreciate it again.

Does this quilt ring a bell with anyone? Remind you of any quilt books you have?

I'm in a crafting lull right now. I think it's Post-Wonderful Vacation Syndrome. You know how it is...you go on vacation and it's really really great, then you come home and have to do this re-entry into your life. There are bills to pay, messages to answer, groceries to shop for, pattern orders to fill--it takes me at least three weeks to get back into some sort of routine. Unfortunately, I feel like my brain is moving too fast to sit down and quietly sew pieces of fabric together, or work string into doilies, or knit yarn into socks.


Oh...and part of the life re-entry is to get sick, too. You have to have the re-entry flu--you know the one you actually contracted at the first airport before you even got on the departing plane--but refused to get sick on vacation? Yeah, that one. Fortunately, I'm over that one, but now I'm onto the second illness--the cold I got from being so busy and not sleeping and eating right when I got home because I was too busy catching up and suffering from the first flu. Yeah, that one.

I think, all in all, vacation recovery time for me is about three months. But since Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas are in that three month period...I'd say...oh...I should be feeling caught up and healthy around February? Yeah, February. Looking forward to it.

19 comments:

Pat said...

haha....you hit the nail on the head with the post-vacation "trying-to-catch-up-while-not-feeling-well" syndrome. Hope you feel a lot better soon. I have no idea about the book where you saw something like that quilt but I really do like it a lot. Thanks for posting the photo of it.

Unknown said...

The quilt is beautiful and I love the design and color. I wish I could help you in the giving credit area, but I have no clue. Sorry to hear that you are ill, it really stinks when you come home, have all those things you need to do and then get sick. Get better soon.

~Joan said...

Just lovely. Those aren't "my" colors, but would be so cheery for a baby. How big is the finished quilt? How big are the black squares?

~Joan in rainy NC, but not as rainy as YOUR neighborhood

Salem Stitcher said...

I love that quilt. What a cool pattern!

Hope you feel better soon. There's nothing like re-entry flu. Ack.

Wendy P said...

There must be more than one published version of that, because there is a Schnibbles pattern, called Reveille, that is the same exactly. Schnibbles are from Miss Rosie's Quilt Co.

Blog more! We hear from you so rarely!

Karen M. said...

Where do you go for vacation when you live in Kauai?

MichelleB said...

It sure is a cute quilt! Hope that you are feeling better soon.

Maria said...

Ok, I live in Minnesota, and my idea of a vacation is to go to Hawaii. So is your idea of a vacation visiting Minnesota??? I doubt it!!!

ladydi said...

Lovely quilt, and those are definitely my colors! Oh dear, is this your gentle way of telling us we won't be seeing any more posts until Feb? Did you get to go play in your sister's quilting house when you were on vacation?

anne from finland said...

The quilt looks great! I think I´ve seen it somewhere, but can´t catch the name of the book now. Poor Lisa! It is not at all nice to have flue after flu! Get well soon!

Kim D. said...

That's a gorgeous quilt, of course I like bright colors so I would love it. Sorry I don't know the name of the book, but if I see one out there I'll be sure to stop over and let you know.

Batiklover said...

Your quilt is gorgeous and definitely MY colors. If you run across the name, please share.
So sorry about the flu, NOT fun! Hope you are back to normal soon.
I have to agree with the other posters, Kauai is my favorite place to vacation, so can't imagine where you go to vacation!! hee hee

Rae said...

Hi Lisa, I have made a quilt using that block. It is an old block called either Crossroad to Jericho, Or, Crossroads to Jericho. If you Google that,you will find lots of stuff. It's one of those biblical names. Rae Parkin.

Paula said...

Aloha Lisa, yes the colors are vivid, and beautiful. Lucky person who got this quilt! Remember the post you did on the skirts that you made? well I put a request in for that book (at the Princeville Library)and I am number 7 in line. Sage at the Library said, oh you will proabably get the book by next Oct!!!! Well no holiday skirts for me!!!!! LOL!!! Hope your feeling better

wolvesrampant said...

I love your 9 patch mystery quilt and I think I know who inspired you! I was going to print your 9patch for my inspiration file and I discovered that I had one very much like it by an Australian quilter/author named Margaret Rolfe. I think her quilt is called arrows. Hope this helps! -Jan

wolvesrampant said...

I found where I first saw the Arrow quilt. It is on Jenny Bowker's website. It was part of the Ramallah Quilt Project.

anne said...

oooh love this quilt have you a tutorial on how you made it, would love to make one. Happy Stitching

blankets said...

The quilt looks very lovely in amazingly bright and solid colors.I am sure you have done a great job with it.

Linda said...

Wow! Beautiful! That is going on my want to do list! I love how the colors & design play across the quilt!!
Happy Sewing & Happy Living!! :)
Linda